Project switcher dashboard

• Hi I'm new here. Just exploring the app, which seems great. I have a question...Is it possible to see all projects in one dashboard or screen, rather than just clicking the switcher?

With preview images also perhaps?

Thnx.

• I think having a way to categorize them would also be a nice touch to a dashboard view.

• @Chris-Slane Why doesn't Project Switcher fit your needs? With all projects on a separate screen you will have to open that screen first in order to switch projects. So it seems like you will not save any time/clicks with it. What kind of usability will come with it?

@Chris-Slane @itbharsh Someone sent me an idea to add Dashboard Shortcut widget that would enable to place shortcuts to specific dashboards (and maybe show previews?). That widget could be used to setup an "overview" dashboard consisting of the shortcuts to "most needed" dashboards. What do you think?

• @alexk

Hi Alex, that sounds really good plan to me. (a Dashboard widget that would enable to place shortcuts to specific dashboards and maybe show previews).

It would be very useful to have a list of projects at a single glance. It is a great reminder what jobs are current, what you have overlooked and need to chase up. Some way to set a status would be cool, also. I love the idea of image previews. The Project -switcher currently requires lots of clicks and holding-down-of-the-mouse-button time in order to read the list and switch between projects. I'm sure this would be more efficient, time-wise.

Here's a work around I have created with Freeter. I use a webpage widget to link to my google sheets 'job list' sheet. It has columns to set name of project, current status, next steps, client email, where I can view all projects at a glance. It would be beautiful if this was built into Freeter in a visual way.

As an illustrator, I find the design of your app very appealing, btw.

Thanks for your interest.
    Chris

• @alexk after you get 10 or more projects the drop down just does not feel enough for me. I would like to see some sort of meta data project categorization that I can use to group my projects. I would like to see some sort of main Freeter dashboard that show projects by category so when you have 10's to 100's of projects you can find them quickly. The search we talked about before could also search for project names. If each project on the dashboard could show the project name and icon and perhaps create date that would be nice to see at a glance.

• @Chris-Slane

I like the idea of status. This should be a custom list that can be modified on a project by project basis IMHO.

• @itbharsh said in Project switcher dashboard:

@alexk after you get 10 or more projects the drop down just does not feel enough for me. I would like to see some sort of meta data project categorization that I can use to group my projects. I would like to see some sort of main Freeter dashboard that show projects by category so when you have 10's to 100's of projects you can find them quickly. The search we talked about before could also search for project names. If each project on the dashboard could show the project name and icon and perhaps create date that would be nice to see at a glance.

Agree! It would be so useful to categorize projects and search names when you have heaps of projects.

• Could a dashboard of projects be formatted as different columns or widgets relating to any category, perhaps? Then you could move them around.

• I got one more idea. What if there will be two modes of Project Switcher? The mode could be changed via Application Settings. 1st mode - Dropdown menu, 2nd - Overview screen. Dropdown menu is the current menu. Overview screen mode will replace the dropdown with a "Home" button that opens Projects Overview screen when clicked.

Projects Overview screen will show all projects as tiles for example, and have advanced things for organizing projects and switching between them, such as grouping by tags for example.

Having two modes will allow to keep it simple for those who has 1-10 projects, and give some advanced functionality for those who has more projects.

• Please continue sharing your thoughts here, if you get more ideas on how Project Switcher could be improved to better fit your needs.

I've added this to the roadmap and will return to it after releasing v1.2.

• @alexk Sounds great to me. Thanks for the quick response.

Looks like your connection to Freeter Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.