Using Searches in Freeter is something I have not yet used very much of yet. I am trying to change this and to do that, I need a better understanding of how this works.
I do understand the basic idea that what I type becomes embedded in the term “%QUERY% which is put into a proper search string.
But I need some help understanding more advanced searches as I am having some trouble with those. I have had some successes but only though much trial and error.
What I am referring to is understanding on a site how to capture the search URL and to properly insert the “%QUERY%” term at the right place in the string. Is it different if I am using an .asp database? How can I understand the rules to getting this done as I am assuming that not all site search engines work the same.
Here are two examples of successful Freeter searches I was able to figure out in Amazon and YouTube:
What does it mean to select a custom search or a Google search? Selecting custom search does not let me select a different search engine like DuckDuckGo, so, what doe it mean by custom search? With a Good search I get a google search on the VA terms. But IW anted to go to the site and search directly on that site. Choosing a custom search, does nothing.
Here is an example of a more complex search that I just figured out, a government Veterans Administration (.asp) site where I need to search out various regulations and forms.
This is the URL after using the sites search bar for the term “book a” show on the sites page and used as a test for the query.
Logically, I should swap the successful search terms with “%QUERY%” and have a successful search in Freeter Searches.
At this writing I just found this works. Just to say it out loud, is this how it should work? Go to a site, put in a easy search term, hit search, copy that URL, replace the search term with %QUERY%, and put that in Freeter and it should work? If so I would like to add this (or a could clean it up first) to the help files about using searches.
Here is another example, one I have been unable to make work in Freeter. Using the National Archives site. You can type in a query in the search field on that site.
When you do this, you get a page with results within that site. Logically, if I copied that URL of the successful search and then replaced the search term with %QUERY%, it should work. But, it does not work in this way.
Test search term is “homestead”
Substituting %QUERY% in the above string for the word “homestead:
Does not go to the national archives site. Only shows string in Google search as literal search for that URL.
Often when I put in a second search of the actual search results from the actual page, I get a different URL with the query term at the end of the line.
Trying the term “bridge after the results of “homestead” now showing the following URL:
Trying again to substitute the results with the %QUERY% variable at the end of the line in Freeter.
Same as before, it merely gives a google page with the URL as a search term and no usable results.
I am stumped. Many of my projects need research outlets. I plan to make good use of Searches in Freeter. But again, I am stumped as to how this is supposed to work. I will continue to use methods already available to me such as Typinator and Alfred and I can continue to put web launch buttons in each project. It would be really great and highly useful if/when I can understand how to better make use of this Searches feature in Freeter.