Share Project

• I would love to be able to share a project with my team.

If the sync backup folder created a file for each project I could grant access to that file.

Or better yet if in creating a project I could choose a sync backup folder for that project I could then create a folder within that client folder structure for client freeter project and grant team access to it.

Overall this is the best software I have bought yet!

• @gbreen Can you provide more info on what does the project consist of? What would you like to share with your team? Just preconfigured dashboards or Freeter's to-do lists / texts?

Currently I think of adding an export/import feature for projects/dashboards/widgets. It will allow to export a widget, a dashboard and a whole project into a file, and then add new items by importing the files. That would enable to create own libraries of preconfigured Freeter objects, to reuse and share them with others (via dropbox, github, etc). What do you think about it?

• good solution. but partial solution.

professional sharing requires collaboration features.
    such as https://forum.freeter.io/topic/64/collab

would you have any interest in expanding freeter like this or does one look elsewhere?
    thanks

• We basically have created a client "Dashboard(s)" with all the web pages that link to various pieces of their account. Shared Google Drive, Doc, Onenote, WHMCS, Cpanel...

I think what you are describing would work. I would like it better if it were linked to the backup/sync per project. If I could set client A backup/sync folder then I could put it in our team shared google drive. Team members could then set their backup/sync folder in the same place. In essence, we would be sharing a Freeter project. We don't necessarily need to share todo lists, notes etc. as we are using external project system for that, though I can see it useful for some.

Your idea could work we would then just have to say to team members we made some changes to the client dashboard can you grab the package... Not the end of the world by any stretch,

Freeter has already increased out productivity and focus.

• For me, the ability to export specific projects from within an installation would be a really useful. This would allow us to set up templates or complete project files of say a specific client and pas them on to other team members for them to add to their installations of Freeter.

• @alexk I think that would be a fantastic feature to have. I understand why others are asking for realtime collaboration, but that is a ton of work, and really a completely separate feature from export/import.

I would request that export/import be added as soon as is practical, with maybe some thought about collaboration in the future :)

• @alexk That sounds great to me. I would use it to set up a project for others in the team to use so that we can have a shared workflow for that type of project. I wasn't thinking of it in a collaborative sense although collaboration could be achieved using slack/basecamp/asana or something similar in a shared web window. I'd just like to be able to export a board with tasks in place ideally as we could set up a generic list that could be duplicated and shared between the team.

• Huge thanks to everyone in this thread for discussing the feature! You helped a lot! :star2:

I'm going to implement the export/import feature in the upcoming version.

Making a collaboration solution will involve developing and running servers for exchanging data between users in real-time. Developing and supporting an accurate and error-less real-time sync is a pricey thing. Essentially that means developing own Google Docs for the text widget, Trello/Wunderlist for the to-do list widget, etc. Much work and switching to a subscription model with monthly costs for almost no added value in return (if we compare with embedding existing 3rd party collaboration tools).

I have some ideas on deep integrations with 3rd party apps by creating API for custom widgets, but it's a scope of Freeter 2.

If we take a scenario when we use 3rd party apps for the collaboration and use Freeter to organize the workflow, then we only need to share projects and dashboards after everything is setup. So that other team members could easily add the predefined projects/dashboards to their workspaces, by importing a file from a team repository. This doesn't require the real-time data exchange and the export-Import feature will be a good fit for that.

Please let me know if I'm missing something.

• @alexk Makes sense. keeps the costs down for us all. why re-invent the wheel if you can just plug in an existing server for collars easily.

• Just wanted to post some updates on the import/export feature here.

1. I've found that the projects/dashboards can be exported into PNG image files with "hidden" data only available to Freeter. That means that operating systems and cloud storages will show the files as images, however when that PNG will be imported into Freeter, the attached data will be used to add a project or a dashboard. This will allow us to have some kind of previews of what exactly each file contains and have comfy repositories with projects and dashboards on local file systems and cloud storages. If you like this feature, please tell what info you'd prefer to see on the preview images, so that you could have a valuable overview about projects and dashboards.

2. Not sure what to do with tool links in file opener and file explorer widgets when exporting the data. Users importing the data will have another toolkit, so the tool links will be broken. If anybody has any thoughts on this, please post.

• @alexk said in Share Project:

PNG image files with "hidden" data

Can you not simply embed a JSON file in the PNG?

• @jasondavis The embedded data will be in JSON format. However to embed it in the PNG it should be "injected" as a text chunk with a quick encoding applied to it.

Users importing the data will have another toolkit, so the tool links will be broken.

Im not sure what you meant by this exactly care to explain?

@alexk said in Share Project:

This will allow us to have some kind of previews of what exactly each file contains and have comfy repositories with projects and dashboards on local file systems and cloud storage. If you like this feature, please tell what info you'd prefer to see on the preview images, so that you could have a valuable overview about projects and dashboards.

Whatever info you decide to include, here's an idea....when the user creates the export file. Show a form that allows them to select/de-select from the list of data items to show on the image.

For example if you wanted to show text on the image like the oldschool forum signatures used to do using PHP and GD/ImageMagick to show things like the username, post count, signature text, etc...

Then for a project you might have option to show things like:

• Project name
    • short description text
    • Dashboard count
    • widget count
    • date created

depending on image dimensions, there might be option to show individual Dashboards names, widget names, etc...

BTW I might be on a completely different idea of what you meant by showing project details but based on that comment I think this type of data embedded on the image is what you meant!

• @jasondavis said in Share Project:

For example, when you configure File Explorer widget you can setup rules to open some files with a specific tool instead of a default application. When the widget is imported on another machine the specified tool isn't available there and can't be used by the widget. Hope it makes it clear.

@jasondavis said in Share Project:

Sounds interesting. Will consider implementing the form in the next versions. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• Personally, I think that KISS comes into play here. Name of project, purpose and Freeter Logo so it is clear as to what the image is. My concern is if we show dashboards or other elements it's going to start looking like a comp. for the project...

For example, when you configure File Explorer widget you can setup rules to open some files with a specific tool instead of a default application. When the widget is imported on another machine the specified tool isn't available there and can't be used by the widget. Hope it makes it clear.

Sounds interesting. Will consider implementing the form in the next versions. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Thanks for explaining, it makes sense!

So heres my idea. You likely had the same one already but maybe not!

So in apps like PHP Laravel Framework, it uses a .env file to set settings such as Database login and password and things like that that you wouldn't want to be uploaded to a GitHub repo so they add this 1 file to the gitignore file and it contains all the user specific settings for the app and then the config files simply pull in the values from the .env files.

So with this method they also are ale to have a .env file for Dev server, Production server, etc....each with different values i that 1 file. Sorry if i'm pounding newb info into you I am just wanting to make sure it is understood.

Solution

So with this concept, the JSON data in an export file could simply allow the user to define multiple "Work Environments/Computers" in which they can define the tools available on each one with file paths.

I think this is the most flexible solution. So in the Freeter App when creating a Tool record, it would have you first select a work environment. So would also need to add a new entity to store the work environment/computers and then the tool UI would allow to select one from list.

Any thoughts on this?

Also as for embedding data in the PNG files, im curious if you would be able to use your own file extension and still have it parse as a PNG file in computers file explorers

• As I believe @alexk mentioned, shared projects do not carry over file paths. I'm guessing this is being done to avoid paths that do not exist on the shared PC. However a shared project really should contain everything or it really takes away from sharing and causes end users to do manual work that they have no ideas what paths were there before.

Could you see please consider adding functionality to add error handling for the file paths or at least just display the old paths in text only for shared projects. If any other elements are not being shared please consider making them sharable.

Looks like your connection to Freeter Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.